Whining when accelerating and slight grinding when lettin...

Q: Whining when accelerating and slight grinding when letting off the gas.

asked by on October 11, 2016

I recently changed the rear differential oil on my 2007 Impreza. Two weeks went by and it started to wind and I refilled my transmission fluid as well. Now that my car whines I'm sure it is coming from the rear end but I recently changed the rear differential fluid before it started whining. Also around Sunday night a slight grinding noise appeared but I don't know if it is from the front or rear.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I don’t wish to 2nd-guess, but your symptom description suggests that either the differential or the transmission may have been run low on fluid, but was refilled after a couple of weeks? Not clear on the sequence. After checking that both differentials and the transmission,now have correct fluid levels and correct lubricants, if you still have gear whine or grinding, something is amiss (perhaps a bad bearing), and needs to be checked out. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this grinding issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.