Q: PCV valve and scheduled maintenance

Oil changes have not been maintained on this car and I've had several issues with it all the sudden once I got it.but I am wondering if I should even change the pcv valve or not.it has alot of sludge around the hose and clap.but with it not being maintained on oil changes,I'm wondering if I could cause more to go wrong.it all started by it hissitating and dying out.and sat a few weeks.and now blows out black smoke,I've changed the fuel module sensor,the throttle sensor,all 6 injectors,mass air flow sensor,coil pack,aND tune up.not sure If I should go ahead and change the pcv value.i did notice a strick of black on the air filter if that helps

A: Any time an engine has been neglected like ...

Any time an engine has been neglected like this you should not hesitate to do any repairs to start to get the vehicle back on it's scheduled maintenance. You should have the PCV changed and change the oil and filter every 3000 or less miles. The cleaning effect of the new oil will start to clean up the sludge in the motor over time. Do not use an engine flush or it may clog up the oil pump and passages in the motor. If you need assistance with the maintenance of your vehicle, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to replace the PCV valve and service your oil if necessary.