Q: My car will start up. But died after 30 seconds. Then it won't start again unless I wait 20 to 30 mins

My car will start up but the engine shuts off after about 30 seconds to a min. Then I have to wait 20-30 mins before it starts up again. I put a fully charged battery in. Also had the alternator tested. Checked the fuel switch in the trunk. I can hear the fuel pump cut on. What else could it be. Also my ignition switch cylinder is jacked up I bought care like that. The key is the wrong key for the tumbler so it's stuck in the tumbler. With that being said I can't turn the wheel to the locked position. Car ran fine until I disconnected the battery. Also no alarm and I've checked all the fuses. If anyone can make since of all that please do. Thank you in advance.

This may be a sign of a faulty ignition coil. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly. The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This type of temperature cycling happens because every time you shut the engine off, the fan stops running, the coolant stops flowing and the temperature under the hood rises. Every time you start the engine again the coolant flows, the fans turn on, and the temperature drops. When this heat dissipates and is absorbed under the hood, it is trapped causing this cycling effect. Other components that contain heat sensitive materials include parts like fuel injectors, igniters, and some sensors. Any of these may be potentially subject to this same kind of heat cycling problem which can be very difficult to trace. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. My car will start up. But died after 30 seconds. Then it won't start again unless I wait 20 to 30 mins