Q: Fan came on & temperature gauge raised to hot

The fan came on in my SUV and the temperature gauge skyrocketed to Hot! I revved the engine and that seemed to calm it down. My vehicle has 77,000 miles and I recently had general maintenance. Can you direct me to what is the problem so I will know what to say to the mechanic and sound intelligent. I’m 80 years old and that sometimes causes some people to think I won’t notice extra, unneeded work. Thank you.

A: When you say you had general maintenance, d...

When you say you had general maintenance, did you get a coolant service? If so, then your engine coolant may have had an air pocket from the coolant change, and then the pocket caused the high temperature spike which then went down after you revved the engine up and cleared the air pocket. Have a mechanic check the coolant level to make sure you are not low on coolant and have no leaks.