Q: Stock engine swap replacement compatibility

My car has a locked engine but I would like to replace it with a 2008 Scion tC engine but I want to know if the engine I'm buying is compatible with my car. Both engines have a (2AZ-FE) 2.4L engine and both have a fifth letter (E) in their VIN#. Here are the numbers to my car VIN#JTKDE3B73A0311785.

Here are the numbers from the donor vehicle VIN#JTKDE167480242078

Thanks for your help.

The engines (i.e., the long block assemblies) from the two subject VIN’s are 100% interchangeable. Please note though that sensors, electronics, controls and accessories on the engines would have to be separately verified OR, without verification, simply carried over from your old engine to your "new" engine just in case there is a variance in the PCM (that controls the engine) from 2008 to 2010. In certain select locales, YourMechanic professionals will perform engine swaps, or sub-parts of the work. Finally, you obviously want to be sure that your existing engine is not repairable in situ, or perhaps even easily repairable once removed. If you want to explore the possibility of repairing what you have, simply request an inspection and diagnostic and the responding certified Mechanic will help you with this.