Q: 1999 Volvo won't start due to immobilizer despite recent replacement

My Volvo isn't staring up and when I used my code reader it came up as p1081 which is the immobilizer and when I replaced it with another one it still isn't wanting to start and the code reader is reading the same. What did i do?

A: P1081 can appear when there is an issue wit...

P1081 can appear when there is an issue with the immobilizer or the systems it communicates with. If the immobilizer has been replaced, then it may need to be reprogrammed or matched with the key so that they can communicate properly. This code can be set if there is an issue with the transponder in the key or if the immobilizer is having issues communicating with the computer. A faulty transponder key or a wiring issue between the immobilizer and computer can also set off this code. To further diagnose your vehicle’s problem, YourMechanic can send a trained professional to your location and perform an inspection.