Q: Car won't shift while it is running - 1995 Honda Civic del Sol

while the honda civic del sol is turned off, it shifts into gear. with the ignition on, it wont go into gear. it is just stiff while running , it simply wont shift into the second or subsequent gears. it is a 1995 honda del sol manual

A: Hi there. The shift rail fork on the shifte...

Hi there. The shift rail fork on the shifter is bent. Remove the rubber boot to the shifter and remove the bolts to the shifter to take it off of the transmission. Remove the shifter from the transmission. Check the alignment of the fork and go to the parts store to compare the shifter to a new one, and measure the distance that it needs to go back. Bend the fork back into place.

If the fork is cracked or will not bend, then you will need to replace the shifter assembly. If you changed the shifter and the transmission still will not go into gear, then the synchronizers inside the transmission are destroyed and the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you need assistance with your transmission, then have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is hard to shift.