Q: Remote start stopped working and check engine light went on.

asked by on March 03, 2017

We purchased this car 2 weeks ago and the remote start was working fine. We drove it today to several places and used the remote start and it worked until our last stop and it would not start. The check engine light is on and my husband put a code reader on it. The codes are PO171 and PO174. Can you help us get this working again? We have checked to make sure doors and windows are closed, trunk and hood closed.

Hi there. The codes are referring that that both banks on the engine are reading a lean condition. For a lean condition to occur, the fuel system is not functioning properly. Check the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and the fuel injectors to see what is not working. If the injectors have power to them, then check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If there is no fuel pressure on the fuel rail, then check the fuel pump relay and feel if its clicking. If the relay is not clicking, then remove the relay and check for a power to the relay. If there is power to the relay, then either the relay is not working or the fuel pump is not working. If there is no power to the relay, then the ignition system has it locked out. Since the vehicle has a remote start system, it may have the vehicle’s fuel system locked out. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.