Q: Car turns on, runs about 30 miles, and then starts shaking and turns off - 2007 Toyota Sienna

Dealer said it was fuel pump, I shop around found a guy said it wasn't the fuel pump. They it was it was electrical problem, paid for what it was done. Then before leaving the shop it started shaking and turn off, now they want me to pay for fuel pump because it wasn't bad bad after fixing the electrical issue now it is damage. He wants to take the computer down and see if my computer outer is damage.

A: Hi there. What will help you the most is de...

Hi there. What will help you the most is determining the nature of the failing behavior when the car shuts off. Does it have spark after it shuts off? After it shuts off (immediately after), if you spritz some starter fluid in the air cleaner and try to start it, does the engine fire momentarily and then shut off? If it starts and then dies, you have identified a fuel supply issue: most likely the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself.

Either problem may allow the pump to run for a while until either the relay contacts or the pump itself get hot and shut down. The question for the shop doing the work is: what was their basis for doing the work and now deciding that the pump is bad? What problem codes are set and what other evidence is there for a particular repair?

If you would like a second opinion, I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection to determine why the car is dying and give you an accurate assessment of the necessary repairs.