Q: What are the signsof a bad tensioner pulley?

The car is running well, but has a very loud whining sound, that is consistant with acceleration, and de-acceleration. No other symptoms, just noise that gets louder the faster I go, and quieter when I slow down. Is it the tensioner pulley??

A: The most common cause of noise in the front...

The most common cause of noise in the front of the motor having to do with the accessories is the tensioner and idler pulley bearings get noisey. I have also seen where the a/c compressor pulley bearing gets noisey. You should have the noise listened to and diagnosed by a mechanic like one from YourMechanic. The mechanic will isolate the noise to one or more of these pulleys by using a listening device and then remove belt and test each pulley for binding bearings.