Q: The car jerks and the lights flicker when idling.

When idling the car jerks the rpm flutters between 1 and 0 and the headlights flicker

Hi. This sounds like there is a problem with the battery or charging system. When a cars had low battery voltage or the charging system is not charging properly it will cause the car’s PCM to make the car run rough and effect the electrical system for the car. You may have a problem with both the battery and the alternator and both of these components should be tested. If you would like to have this checked for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the rough idling symptoms and move forward with repairs.

3. The car jerks and the lights flicker when idling.