Q: I have a 2006 Pontiac grand prix. The engine shut down on me, but everything still works inside the car. This is the second time

asked by on July 21, 2017

I have a 2006 Gran Prix. The car just shut down on me and I changed a fuse and it cranked right up. It shut down again and I changed a fuse, but this time it would not start. All of the gauges and lights still worked like there supposed to. When I turn the key to crank it, everything lights up but there's no other sounds like the starter. It doesn't even make a clicking sound to let me no it's trying to crank

Ignition Relay Replacement $89.03 - $216.75 Get a Quote

Depending on what fuse you are referring to, this may impact whether or not the car will start. There are a number of relays that will affect the ability of the car to start such as a starter relay, a fuel pump relay or an ignition relay. The ignition relay. When you turn the key to the On position, the ignition relay switches allows power to be diverted to systems needed to operate your vehicle. The ignition coil then receives power from the battery and delivers it to your spark plugs. This process ignites the fuel and enables your vehicle to run. When this relay is not working properly, you may notice the car having problems with keeping the battery charged, engine stalling, starting problems (especially in warmer weather) and sometimes intermittent problems with your speedometer and tachometer flickering off and on.

The fuel pump relay wires should have ground on two wires, power on one wire and switched power on another wire. To activate the fuel pump your ECU actually connects one of the ground wires to complete the circuit and send power to the fuel pump. If the wires all have power running through them, then it is likely you have a faulty relay. The wire coming from the fuel pump is the other ground wire. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose ad inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr