Steam from under hood with antifreeze smell v6-3.4l cooli...

Q: Steam from under hood with antifreeze smell

asked by on October 17, 2017

I had a major antifreeze leak one day and ended up being the radiator went bad so I got it replaced. The next day, on my way to work, it starts steaming or smoking under the hood were the reservoir tank sits. The vans not overheating at all but the temp needle does move doen and and up around the normal notch just a little bit. What else could possibly be wrong?

It might be that the cooling system was not completely filled. If the technician was in a hurry, he may not have given the engine time to "burp" while filling the system. To correctly fill the cooling system , the car has to be run for a period of time with the heater on and the radiator cap off so that air pockets can work their way out of the system. If you would like to have this checked for you, contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to top off your cooling system for you right there on the spot.