Q: Dashboard lights out and something draining new battery

I am having several problems with my older model car. Earlier this week, suddenly the instrument panel lights stopped working. I have checked all fuses and so far I have not found any problems there. Another problem is that something is draining the battery. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and I replaced the alternator, also with a brand new one. But now, something is still draining the new battery. In your experience, what should I do next to find what is draining the battery and affecting the dashboard lights?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. Checking for parasitic draw on a battery can be done by inserting an ammeter in series with the negative battery cable, then removing the fuses one by one until the draw drops. Once this happens, you have found your problem circuit. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can [find the problematic fuse and replace it for you](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/fuse-replacement]. In regard to your instrument panel, unfortunately, I do not have the wiring diagram for your vehicle due to the age. The instrument panel will need to be checked for both power and ground to determine where the problem is. Once again, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect your electric problems.