Q: MY CAR IS MAKING A SOUND WHEN I TRY TO START IT AND IT WILL NOT TURN OVER

asked by on December 27, 2016

MY CAR IS MAKING A WHINY SOUND BUT WILL NOT TURN OVER

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the starter is turning, but not engaging, that will make a whiny kind of sound. But you could also use that word to describe the sound of a car that is cranking without compression. Have a friend look under the hood at the "front" of the engine on the passenger side. From there they will be able to see the pulleys and such and will be able to tell if the engine is turning while you engage the starter. If it is not turning, it could be a starter, but of it is turning and doesn’t sound right, it could be that you have no compression. If that is the case, it could be bad news. These engines have a timing belt that can break if it is not changed every hundred thousand miles. If that belt fails while you are running or cranking the car, it can damage the valves and you will lose compression. Either way, you can work this out by contacting Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and check out your starting problem and give you the real information on what it will take to fix it.