Q: Water pump needs replacing

I am losing antifreeze in my car. I believe the seal is gone and the water pump needs replacing.

A: Hello, a coolant leak should be repaired so...

Hello, a coolant leak should be repaired sooner than later to avoid engine damage. To check for leaks, the cooling system needs to be pressurized and inspected. If the coolant pump is found to be leaking then it will need to be replaced. When replacing the coolant pump, it is also a good time to replace the thermostat, since they will wear out and never give any indication of failure unless it’s stuck closed. The hose should also be looked at, if there original of soft they should be replaced. You may need the aid of mechanic who can pressure test the system and replace your water pump if needed.