Q: No oil on the dipstick

Bought the truck from auction. No oil showing on dipstick but I did oil change there was oil that came out about 5 quarts. I changed oil filter and added new 5 30 synthetic oil 6 quarts. Still no oil showing on dipstick but good oil pressure no overheating and no engine light on. No oil leaks that i can see. What could be wrong? Is it safe to drive?

My first recommendation is to NOT START this engine until there is sufficient oil showing on the dipstick. Even if there was excessive sludge in the area of the valve covers, after an hour or two, most of the oil should drain back into the crankcase. A bad oil pump would not prevent the oil from coming to the correct level on the dipstick. Be sure to check to see how far down the dipstick goes into the motor. Sometimes new and fresh oil can be tough to see registering on the dipstick as well. If you need help having this addressed, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the oil problem and resolve the issue.