Q: Misaligned trunk(hit and run-someone else hit me)

asked by on February 09, 2017

Yesterday I got hit. They hit the back of my car and fled the scene with no note or anything on my car. The hit was good enough to slightly misalign my trunk and now there's a small gap in my trunk. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain. How do I prevent it from leaking or how do I stop the leak after it's done raining tomorrow so that I can prevent it from leaking during the next rain we get(rare to get rain)?

The correct way to prevent water from getting into the trunk is to have a body shop repair the vehicle. Short of that, about the only way to keep water out might be to cover the entire car with a tarp or something like it. Covering just the trunk will not help because water will still be running off the roof, down the back window, and into the channels around the trunk opening. If enough water is running in those channels, it can over-top the rubber seal and get into the trunk.