Q: Noise & vibration from the passenger tail light or trunk area.

The noise and vibration begins shortly after startup regardless of being in park (idle) or drive. The sound and vibration occasionally continue after the car is turned off for a minute or two. We have ruled out the muffler and rear differential (having the engine running & being in gear seem to have no effect on the symptoms). It sounds like an electric motor/pump or air compressor is running beneath the trunk floor next to the tail light.

My car has 170000 miles and was involved in a fender bender 4 mos ago (cosmetic front pass bumper & headlight damage).

Hi there. Check the taillight or the trunk to see if its loose. A vibration will occur on the taillight or trunk when they are loose. This happens easily when there is an amp in the vehicle or when the bolts come loose. Tighten up the bolts or add a weather stripping to the area that is vibration to decrease or stop the vibration. If you need further assistance with the vibration and sounds that your are hearing around the trunk area, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Noise & vibration from the passenger tail light or trunk area.