Q: Poor fuel economy and sluggish acceleration. Also, my car has squeaky breaks.

It seems like my car has been experiencing poor fuel economy recently. I drive maybe 60-70 miles and I see my fuel tank diminish by 1/4. The car definitely feels sluggish when accelerating, like I have to press further down on the pedal. I don't think the spark plugs have ever been replaced on this car and I've been told that this could be the cause. Is it possible that I need these replaced despite there being no check engine code for it? Is it easy for a mechanic to check?

Also, I replaced all my brake pads/rotors earlier this year, but still experience squeaky breaks each time after starting the car. It goes away after 1 min of driving, but this has been a persisting issue.

Thanks!

A: Hi there. It sounds like you have a few iss...

Hi there. It sounds like you have a few issues here, but the loss of power and mileage is concerning. It sounds like you have an issue with a failing catalytic converter. If this fails it will clog the exhaust and cause an extra load on the engine which causes a loss of power and poor fuel economy. It can also be a sensor problem such as an oxygen sensor, but that is not as common. If you are planning on having this mileage and loss of power issue checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.