Q: Check Engine Light was on. Got it tested and they told me it was the thermostat - Chevy Aveo 09

I have the check engine light in got the car tested at an O'Reilley they told me its the thermostat, so we got it switched but the light is still on I wanted to know how long does it take for the light to go off

A: Hello. It should have gone off by now depen...

Hello. It should have gone off by now depending on how many miles you’ve put on it since the repair. Sometimes when a scanner reads a thermostat code it could be a coolant temperature sensor which sends a signal the gauge. Did the car ever overheat is one question I would ask. You may want to have a mechanic recheck the car before you possibly hurt the vehicle. The cooling system is a very important part of protecting the vehicle and if it is overheating and you don’t know it, then you could ruin your engine. If the light does not go off, and you would like to have another independent technician handle this work for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose and repair the cause of the light.