Q: 2004 5.3 Tahoe oil pressure drops when stopped, rises when accelerating, sounded like an exhaust leak to, blow whit smoke on crank

asked by on July 26, 2017

My Tahoe blows white smoke on crank up, and the other day for the first time my oil pressure dropped when I stopped and rises when I accelerated, then sounded like an exhaust leak too.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The smoke on start up is usually due to the valve stem guides and or seals. They may need to be replaced. As far as the oil pressure is concerned, you need to check the level of the oil. To correct your thinking sightly, the oil pressure will vary depending on the engine RPMs. The symptoms you described with the oil pressure is supposed to happen to a certain extent. That being said, dash board oil gauges are famous for being incredibly inaccurate. Hook up a gauge to an oil port to get an accurate measurement on oil pressure. Solve the oil leak first, and take any remaining issues with the pressure from there. For more help from our technicians, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.