Q: Hard Starting 04 BMW X3

My car has been starting on the 2nd crank / try for a while and its getting worse. I have taken it in many times with no solution. The issue is only present after the first morning start which fires up normally, after that it requires 2-3 cranks if you let it sit for more than 10-15mins. I do not want to replace the fuel regulator as I don't think its losing pressure, else it wouldn't fire right up after sitting overnight.

I have had the valve cover & oil filter housing gaskets replaced, also replaced vacuum hoses, no vacuum leaks. Changed plugs recently and it still persists. What other items should I be looking at?

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 2004 BMW X3 to have a hard time starting. You have done great in diagnosis and replacing parts that will typically cause this condition. Common causes of a hard start are the fuel pump, ignition switch, starer relay, fuel filter, starter, or a wiring harness fault. Before any more parts are replaced your vehicle will need diagnosed to get to the root cause of the hard starting. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your hard start condition and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

3. Hard Starting 04 BMW X3