Q: Hard Starting 04 BMW X3

My car has been starting on the 2nd crank / try for a while and its getting worse. I have taken it in many times with no solution. The issue is only present after the first morning start which fires up normally, after that it requires 2-3 cranks if you let it sit for more than 10-15mins. I do not want to replace the fuel regulator as I don't think its losing pressure, else it wouldn't fire right up after sitting overnight.

I have had the valve cover & oil filter housing gaskets replaced, also replaced vacuum hoses, no vacuum leaks. Changed plugs recently and it still persists. What other items should I be looking at?

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 2004 BMW X3 to have a hard time starting. You have done great in diagnosis and replacing parts that will typically cause this condition. Common causes of a hard start are the fuel pump, ignition switch, starer relay, fuel filter, starter, or a wiring harness fault. Before any more parts are replaced your vehicle will need diagnosed to get to the root cause of the hard starting. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your hard start condition and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.