Q: Car won't stay started. Tons of oil in the spark plugs.

asked by on September 22, 2017

Two days ago, I went to start my car and it wouldn't stay started. It would just cut off. However, when I press the accelerator, it will stay started for however long I keep giving it gas. When it is started, the engine makes popping sounds and seem like "it wants to jump out of the car".
I checked the spark plugs and it was filled with oil. I couldn't even see the spark plugs. I removed the oil with shop towels and checked the spark plugs. They were black/burnt, so I replaced them. The car still wouldn't start. Then I check the ignition coils and they all produced a spark, so I only replaced the boots. This still didn't fix the problem.

So my question is what could be the issue? Do I need to replace the ignition coils or could the timing belt have jumped? Thanks.

Hi Eugenia. Thanks for contacting us today. Oil leaking into the spark plug wells is an indictor of a fairly serious problem that should be inspected and repaired immediately. It is almost always due to a failing gasket or O-ring but can also be the result of a failing piston or worn valve guides. Oil making its way into the spark plug wells will drastically affect the engines performance, leading to misfires, increased oil consumption and blue exhaust. In extreme cases, it can even lead to an engine fire. If the vehicle is exhibiting any of these symptoms, the spark plugs should be inspected immediately.