Q: Windshield cracked randomly, is it safe to drive?

asked by on October 30, 2015

The windshield on my 2013 Nissan Altima seemed to develop a large crack out of nowhere! One day I went out and saw that one corner had a huge deep crack across it! It was in my driveway so I would have heard if someone hit it with something or if something fell on it. Also it didn’t look like something impacted the Windshield. What is the best way to handle this? I don’t want to replace the windshield just to see a new one crack! The car just passed 50,000 miles, so it is still barely used.

The windshield issue in your car is common enough for many owners to make the same comment. While Nissan does not currently offer any bulletins or recalls about the issue, nor is there any known cause, it is recommended to use an aftermarket, non-Nissan replacement windshield. A call to your local windshield replacement company will help, and, just like YourMechanic, many of them will come to you!