Q: oil leak

asked by on February 27, 2017

I try to do as much preventative maintanence on the car as possible. Today I am getting my timing belt and water pump repaired. I have some engine gasket leaks, and was wondering if I could space out repairing those leaks every 3 months (basically when I get my oil changed). I would love to drive the car another 100000 miles, but I want to make sure that my car will run.

Please let me know your opinion.

Ian Stoddard (Teacher)

Hello. We will be happy to assist you. The repairing of your oil leak should be able to be spaced out over your next oil changes, depending on the severity of the leaks. The technician working on your vehicle should be able to inform you of which leaks should be addressed first and which leaks are minute. Being that the timing belt is being replaced, while it is off it will be more cost efficient to replace any leaks pertaining to your camshaft seals or crank seals now. Any leaks that you likely have such as a valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket you should be able to wait a little bit on, but then again it depends on the severity of the leaks. You are able to find a technician who can evaluate such leakage and give you repair recommendations here https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/oil-fluid-leak-inspection