Q: Transmission slow to engage into 1st from stop

My car hesitates to engage into first gear from a complete stop. This usually occurs when I am at a stop for an extended time. If im just stopping and going it will not happen. The previous owner had not serviced the fluid. I ran a drain and fill twice. Could the tranny be bad? What electrical components can I diagnose? TPS? PNP?

Thank you, Frank R.

Hello. This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. Modern automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear.

When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This may also be related to a faulty transmission control module. The transmission control module (TCM) helps regulate fuel efficiency and power while storing information about the transmission system in its memory.

A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. If you would like to have this scoped out by a professional, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting problem.