Q: Ticking sound when the car is first started

Hello. My car has been making a ticking sound when I turn it on. The ticking can be heard until the car warms up. Then, there are no problems and it runs great. Do you have any idea what could be making this sound and how I can fix it?

Hi there, if the ticking is only there when the vehicle is first started, and then it goes away, it is typically due to an exhaust leak. When the exhaust leaks around the exhaust manifold it will make this noise until it expands from heat and seals it up.

If there are no leaks there then it may be a failing valve lifter, but that is not as common as an exhaust leak. The exhaust manifolds need to be inspected for signs of leakage and then repaired as needed. If you need help getting this done, a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to pinpoint the source of the sound and make the necessary fix.

3. Ticking sound when the car is first started