When I start my car the RPM needle shoots up to 3 how com...

Q: When I start my car the RPM needle shoots up to 3 how come it's kinda freaking me out.

asked by on October 06, 2017

When I start my car it the RPM needle goes to 3. Like I'm reving my car but I'm not touching the peddle. Why is that and when I slow down for a red light it feels like it's going to stall on me. Any advice.??

You may be having trouble with your Throttle motor. The throttle is supposed to open up for a fast idle when you start, but not that fast. Then when the car warms up, it’s the throttle motor’s job to regulate the idle speed so the engine doesn’t cut off at stoplights. But don’t run out and buy a throttle motor just yet, It could be as simple as a vacuum leak. check under the hood and look at all the rubber hoses that go into the engine, make sure every one is in good condition and well connected. Any air that gets into the engine without going through proper channels will cause this sort of problem. If you can’t find anything, contact YourMechanic, they will send a technician to your home or office to check out your idling problem and let you know what you need to do to fix it.