Q: How do you check the level of the engine coolant?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you check the level of the engine coolant?

Engine coolant does exactly what the name implies – it transfers heat from the engine, ensuring that it doesn’t build up and damage the engine. Having the right amount of coolant in the system is essential, and it’s important that you know how to keep an eye on it. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Turn the engine off and let it cool completely.

2. Open the hood.

3. Locate the coolant reservoir – it’s translucent white and located near the front of the engine bay.

4. Check the level of coolant in the reservoir. It should be between the full cold and minimum lines.

Tips

• Only use a 50/50 mix of coolant and water in your engine.

• Never add anything but coolant/water mix to your coolant reservoir. Any other liquid will cause severe damage to the system and the engine.

• Make sure to have your coolant system inspected and serviced regularly.