Q: Lots of noise on startup, car isn’t a morning person

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester that makes a heck of a racket when it starts in the morning. I notice that the cold makes the noises worse. Otherwise the car runs fine. I am pretty concerned as the car only has 15,000 miles on it. Any reason this should be happening?

A: Hello! Thank you for writing in with this q...

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. Due to the design and characteristics of the “boxer” style engine, this cold-start noise is considered “normal” by Subaru corporate. It may be a good idea to have a professional at YourMechanic take a look and listen to the vehicle during cold-start to eliminate the possibility of any mechanical issues.