Q: Lots of noise on startup, car isn’t a morning person

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester that makes a heck of a racket when it starts in the morning. I notice that the cold makes the noises worse. Otherwise the car runs fine. I am pretty concerned as the car only has 15,000 miles on it. Any reason this should be happening?

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. Due to the design and characteristics of the “boxer” style engine, this cold-start noise is considered “normal” by Subaru corporate. It may be a good idea to have a professional at YourMechanic take a look and listen to the vehicle during cold-start to eliminate the possibility of any mechanical issues.

3. Lots of noise on startup, car isn’t a morning person