Q: My check engine light came on and my car was diagnosed as needing a catalytic converter. Now, my car won't start.

asked by on December 29, 2016

Since my car won't start, can the issue of needing a new catalytic converter be the only problem?

Catalytic Converter Replacement $279.51 - $3103.51 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The catalytic converter can cause a vehicle not to start. This would be an extreme situation where part of the catalyst inside has broken off and is clogging the entire exhaust pipe. Tap on the catalytic converter just hard enough to loosen anything that may be logged in. You do not want to do any more damage. Now if the vehicle is not cranking (as in the starter is not turning) then your issue is not related to the catalytic converter. If you already know this is an issue, start by replacing it first and take further diagnosis from there. For more diagnostic help, or to have the catalytic converter replaced, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.