Q: Tire tread wear

My car is a front wheel drive with a six-speed manual transmission. The tires on it are original. I didn't have tires rotated. The tread on the rear ones seem to wearing quicker than that on the front tires. What could be causing this?

A: Hello there. Tires need to be rotated to ge...

Hello there. Tires need to be rotated to get the most life span from the tire. It is typically recommended to have this done at each oil change. The reason for this is that each tire has a certain weight it carries depending on what placement it is located on the vehicle.

Correct air pressure is essential for longer tire life. On front wheel drive vehicles, more weight is on the front to have tires wear evenly unless they need to be rotated. That being said, if one tire is wearing quicker, it could be an alignment issue.

There are operating specifications for proper tire alignment (tracking). These specifications can change from rough road conditions to worn suspension parts. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the uneven wear and rotate your tires if necessary.