Q: After new front bearings/hubs, Lexus still making noise and shaking

asked by on March 27, 2017

Lexus 330es 110K mi, In past five months: New timing belt and power steering pump, new struts, 2 sets of new wheel bearings/hubs (was told first ones were defective after finding out shop used aftermarket), Passenger side axle was leaking and replaced,
2 sets of new tires. First set when the timing belt was replaced. On the car now are 4 new Michelin tires,
2 alignments + balances. Neither of the alignments showed After all green. Latest alignment, one After reading was more than two degrees off.

Before all this work, car was making a drone mid-pitch smooth humming LOUD sound when going 45-65+. Sound would get louder while turning to change lanes or coming off an exit ramp 40+ mph. After all work thats been done, car is still making the loud sound between 45-65+mph. And theres more. The steering wheel vibrates somewhat with speed. And floorboard vibrates with speed, too. It almost feels like the wheels are wobbling through the floorboard now after the last alignment. $4K later..

Hello, thank you for writing in. Feeling steering and suspension issues in the steering wheel is very common. While everything you have done is within reason, there are several components that need to be inspected or tested. You will want to make sure the steering linkage is clean, dry, and tight. In particular, check from the gear box, down the rack and pinion, and over to the tie rod ends. If they look bent, loose, have work seals, or dirty seals, then you want to replace the whole unit. Secondly, you want to make sure your brakes are not dirty, worn, or have debris stuck in them. If they are out of round they will cause issues similar to what you describe. Lastly, with the vehicle in the air, you can manipulate the tires back and forth, and up and down checking for excess play. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.