Q: I think my clutch or clutch master cyclinder went out

Symptoms: Won't go into gear, Rough start (when in 1st gear), No shifter play , Gear gets stuck in reverse , Feels like all gears are "locked out" :

Today I was driving home ( 35mph in 4th gear) when I began to slow down for a turn. As I slowed down I pressed the clutch pedal to downshift, I pressed the clutch pedal and I heard a semi-loud click noice that came from the either the driver side footwell or below the car where the transmission sits. After that initial noise, it became extremely difficult to put the car in any gear, including reverse. The car only goes into gear when it is within its rev range. (~800rpm) Otherwise it feels like all the gears are locked out. Before this it was driving fine, shifts were crisp and easy. Also when the car is off the shifter has a ton of play, once on all the play is gone.

*This car has almost 100K miles, with -original OEM clutch. -Regularly serviced -driven spiritedly through back roads a few times a month.

Hello - it sounds like the clutch hydraulics are not functioning properly. Check for adequate fluid level first - the clutch fluid reservoir is near the brake fluid reservoir on the firewall (driver side). If the fluid level is low, most likely the clutch slave cylinder is leaking and should be replaced. If the fluid level is correct, but the clutch will not disengage when you press the pedal, the clutch master cylinder (or the mechanical linkage) has likely failed.

I would recommend having your clutch issue inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. I think my clutch or clutch master cyclinder went out