Q: Periodically vehicle runs rough at idle.

asked by on February 15, 2017

Periodically, the vehicle will run rough at idle. Turn the car off and restart and runs fine. Most of the time, the vehicle runs fine. Recently, went to obtain an emissions inspection and the test identified the following codes: P0313, P0300, P1085, P1353, P0155, P1345, P1347, P1343, P0171, and P0741. I have had the P0741 check at a transmission shop. They could not identify and issues with the operation of the transmission.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Most of the codes that are coming on are for a misfire on cylinder number 3. Check the spark plug and wire on cylinder 3 and see if you are getting a good spark. Then check the fuel injector on cylinder 3 to see if its working by unplugging it. If the cylinder changes and makes the engine act up even more, then the fuel injector is working. If there is no change, then either the injector is not firing or the cylinder has a loss of compression in the cylinder. At that point you would want to check for compression on cylinder 3 to determine if it’s a fuel issue or an internal issue.

For the transmission code, the torque converter clutch solenoid has failed in your transmission and needs replaced.

If you need further assistance with your engine misfiring, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.