Q: Knocking in engine

The engine has a knock, and the gearshift seems looser than normal.

A: Hi. I will assume the car has a manual tran...

Hi. I will assume the car has a manual transmission in which case, there is a bolt underneath the shifter that helps the gear linkage pivot. Over time, this bolt can become loose which will create the extra play in the gear-shifter. Another thing to keep in mind is don’t leave your hand on the shifter while driving. This puts extra pressure on bearings in the gearbox which are supposed to move freely against each other. Over time, this small amount of pressure will cause the two pieces to rub against each other which will wear them down.

The engine knock could be from multiple things and should be inspected thoroughly to find the source. Make sure there is enough oil in the car because if the pressure is low, there may not be enough oil getting to the top of the engine to lubricate the lifters. These can make a ticking sound at idle, but once you are moving, there is enough pressure from the pump to get oil to the top of the engine. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the noise issue and suggest an appropriate repair for the shifter problem.