Q: engine light

asked by on November 15, 2016

I've been using conventional motor oil but just changed to a full synthetic Gastrol 10w30 with a wix oil filter. 2 days later my engine light came on and engine feels a little rough. What could cause this or any relations? I change oil myself.

Your check engine light may come on for many different reasons such as a faulty mass air flow sensor, a faulty O2 sensor, a bad catalytic converter, bad spark plugs or wires and many other reasons. Unfortunately due to the wide range of possibilities for the check engine light to come on, the best way to narrow down the scope of what may be causing this is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanning tool to download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the computer. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your check engine light to come on.