Q: Battery Light is on - 2007 Chrysler Town & Country

asked by on November 16, 2016

My battery light came on while driving my van is still running ok what could this mean

Your battery light coming on may mean a few things such as a weak battery, a failing alternator, or a failing voltage regulator. This may be a sign of a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator.

Often, this will result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery, damaging wires and prematurely destroying the battery. In other cases, it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. In either case, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system and suggest the necessary repairs.