Q: differential noise

i have a 2004 kia amanti and I have a loud humming noise from the middle rear of the car, is that from my differential? Thanks, Nate.

A: The most common noise that matches that des...

The most common noise that matches that description would be a worn wheel bearing. Your car is front wheel drive. The differential is built into the transmission at the front. Wheel bearing noise can resonate through metal parts to disguise it’s origin. I would have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, drive the car and diagnose the noise.

Differential noise will change pitch or loudness when transitioning from acceleration to deceleration. Wheel bearings will do the same when turning right or left. Both will get louder the faster you go. Tire noise will stay fairly consistent with vehicle speed.