Q: My ac is blowing but not cooling

asked by on September 19, 2016

My ac is blowing but not cooling

AC Pressure Switch Replacement $143.44 - $394.04 Get a Quote
AC Compressor Replacement $672.08 - $2753.22 Get a Quote
AC is not working Inspection $96.46 - $106.46 Get a Quote

Hello. An AC that does blow cold air can be caused by many things. A few common causes are low refrigerant, a faulty pressure switch, or a bad compressor. The component responsible for blowing air is the blower motor, however, it is not responsible for making the air cold. The actual AC system that is mostly installed in the engine bay is what generates the cold air. If the refrigerant the system uses runs low, perhaps due to a leak, or the switch that activates the compressor fails, then the AC system will not work properly. I would start by verifying that the compressor is in fact coming on, and then test the pressure of the AC system to see if it may be low and in need of refrigerant. Keep in mind that if the system is in fact low, you will have to determine what caused it to run low in the first place. To have this checked, have a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the A/C system.