Q: Car won't start at all - 2000 Nissan Maxima

While trying to change a dead battery I accidently switched the terminals around on the battery. Something sparked and now the car won't start at all. It seems like I blew a fuse that's attached to the positive terminal but when I try to take it out it won't budge! I really need help on what to do.

Regarding the fuse, the high current probably welded the fuse to the fuse holder. YourMechanic can attempt to salvage the assembly by trying a fuse replacement without destroying the fuse terminal box. If you are lucky, putting a new fuse in will resolve this. But don’t bypass the fuse, as this could worsen your situation.

A worst case scenario is if you have fried the PCM (and other components) by reversing the battery polarity. A programmed PCM for your car might be in the neighborhood of $300 plus installation. Obviously, first have a mechanic repair the fuse holder and try a new fuse. Working around a battery requires safety gear, notably eye protection. Short circuiting a battery can cause an explosion and drench you in sulphuric acid. Short circuits can also melt steel and cause severe burns. If you would like to have this looked at and taken care of for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and make repairs as necessary.

3. Car won't start at all - 2000 Nissan Maxima