Q: Leaking transmission fluid - 2004 Ford Crown Victoria

I have a 2004 crown Victoria police interceptor. I'm losing about 1/2 a quart of fluid a week and cant find leak externally. My question is where all can I check other then the pan, at the front an back of the transmission. Also the fluid is a light brown color and doesn't smell burnt. Suggestions other then taking it to a shop. I am capable of dropping it myself.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There are 3 places for transmission leaks to go - externally to the ground, through the module vacuum tube, and into the coolant system through you transmission cooling lines.

Since there is no evidence of an external leak, check for oil residue in the tube going to you module. Also, check and see if there is any evidence of transmission oil in your coolant system simply by checking the color of your coolant. If it is a brownish color and/or you see oil floating at the top of your reservoir, that is a good indication this is where your transmission fluid is leaking to.

If you decide you’d like to have another expert take a look, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the leaking transmission fluid and proceed with repairs.

3. Leaking transmission fluid - 2004 Ford Crown Victoria