Q: transmission slipping - 1997 Ford F-150

asked by on September 03, 2016

I put my truck in drive and it will go for a second than it will shift out of drive, It will do this back and worth. i turn the truck off and it will work for a little bit but than it will start slipping again. leaning towards a vacuum issue or torque converter?

Hi. I would start by taking it in to have the transmission power flushed first as this will remove any debris from the inside of the transmission. Over time, fluid and additives lose their potency. Unlike simply draining and replacing the fluid, a power flush uses pressure to flush the transmission out. I would also recommend checking the overdrive solenoid. These are known to fail on the Ford F-150 pickups. If you’d like to have this checked by an expert, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the slipping problem and can service the transmission fluid if necessary.