Q: AC problem on a '97 Isuzu Rodeo

I have a '97 Isuzu Rodeo. I'm keeping it in a good condition, maintaining fluids, replacing brakes etc. It's running in a good condition but the AC is not cold. Do you think it could just need a recharge or is it the AC itself?

That thing is almost 20 years old. It’s 19 years old and it probably just needs refrigerant. You’ll need to evacuate all the old refrigerant out, so you’ve got to have a recycling machine. Then you would put a factory load of refrigerant by weight. You’d want to get it just right because, if you are even half an ounce off, it’s not going to work. Start by having somebody do that and it will probably fix your problem. If it doesn’t, there could be a zillion things like the compressor going out, the fan could be going out. It could be lots of things. But a lot of times it is just low on refrigerant because they all leak a bit of refrigerant. Because, there is a rubber seal under the compressor that spins and if it doesn’t leak a little to let the AC oil lubricate it, then that seal would burn out fast and all the refrigerant would leak out. So they all leak to some extant. If you need help with this, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to recharge your AC.

3. AC problem on a '97 Isuzu Rodeo