Q: How Does an Oil Filter Function?

asked by on November 25, 2015

How does an oil filter function?

An oil filter is a long, rectangular paper element that is folded into numerous pleats. The two ends of the pleated element are sealed together and the filter placed around a perforated metal tube inside a filter can. The perforated metal tube provides support for the filter and allows a path for the oil to flow out of the element. An attachment is sealed to the top of the filter can. This plate directs oil into and out of the filter.

When the filter is attached to the engine, the oil flows out of the oil pump and into the oil filter, where the oil flows from the exterior side of the element through the paper to the interior side of the element and then exits from the middle of the filter attachment plate.

Oil filters are designed to last anywhere from 5000 miles to 7500 miles before requiring replacement. Proper maintenance is the key to your engine living a long and happy life. If you need help having this done, a technician from YourMechanic can conduct an oil and filter change for you.