Q: Why does my transmission only shift rough in first gear and not in any other gear?

Hey I changed my transmission fluid and filter thinking maybe that was the problem but it was shifting rough in first gear. And it still is. When I take off and get it to 2500 rpms or 20mph before it shifts into second it doesn't do it but I don't always wanna have to take off like that wonder what is causing it to do that?

Hello. This can occur for a few different reasons. It can be anything from an internal pressure issue, a sensor problem, or a transmission failure. Most of the time it is caused by a sensor issue. I have seen a lot of throttle position sensors and air flow sensors cause this if they are not reading right. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes. If nothing comes up then I monitor all of the sensor readings to see if any of them are reading improperly. If the sensors are also fine then I check the transmission pressures to see if there is an internal transmission problem. If you are going to have this hard shifting problem fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to [diagnose this shifting problem] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-hard-to-shift-inspection.

• Why does my transmission only shift rough in first gear and not in any other gear?