Q: Transmission jerks when changing gears when in drive.

When I first start up and go from park to drive, the transmission will jerk into gear. Once I get started it will jerk again when changing gears, after driving for awhile it will shift normally.

A: Hello. This can be caused by a failing tran...

Hello. This can be caused by a failing transmission, but there are other parts that need to be checked first. It can also be caused by worn out engine mounts or a bad cv axle. I usually check the mounts and the axles first. If any of these are bad they will have excessive play. If these parts are fine, then the transmission pressures need to be checked to see if it is just a pressure issue or if there is an internal failure. This would mean that the transmission needs to be rebuilt. I would have a transmission specialist take a look at it.