Q: My timing cover is leaking, and the guy that is working on my car told me that it doesn't really need to be fixed, Just check oil 2007 GMC Acadia

My timing cover is leaking, and the guy that is working on my car told me that it doesn't really need to be fixed, Just check oil regularly. Is this true?

Hi there. Well, to be honest - I wouldn’t recommend working with this mechanic much longer. Although a timing cover leak usually just causes oil to drip on your driveway, the reality is that it leaks because either the gasket or the cover itself is damaged. This not only allows oil to escape, but also allows dirt, debris and other contaminants to enter the engine; which can cause additional sludge, and lubrication issues. I would recommend having this fixed as soon as possible.

Hi there - this is a judgement call. A tiny leak ( a drop or two a week), that does not go near coils, plugs or the exhaust manifold may be acceptable to you, and not be a performance or safety hazard - against the cost of replacing the valve cover gaskets. However, an oil leak only grows worse with time and mileage, and the question becomes "When is it messy enough, or risk damage or a fire enough, to become a priority?". That discussion is one that only you and your technician can have, and come to an educated decision. For a trusted 2nd opinion, I recommend an oil leak inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My timing cover is leaking, and the guy that is working on my car told me that it doesn't really need to be fixed, Just check oil 2007 GMC Acadia