Q: Rough idle and car dies - 2007 Chevrolet Impala

My car is having a rough idle at about 500 rpm and will even die at light. It turns back over but not easily. Serpentine belt does squeal from 1st to 2nd gear shift. Steering becomes hard if making u-turn or tight turn.

Hey there. This is a common sign of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature, and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. However, when the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve as needed.

3. Rough idle and car dies - 2007 Chevrolet Impala